Thank you for your interest in the volunteer program at West Florida Hospital. Studies have shown that those who help others are healthier, happier people. Feel good about yourself ... join the West Florida Hospital team by becoming a volunteer. As a volunteer, you will:
- Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others
- Meet interesting people and make new friends
- Learn new skills and experience new ideas
- Add to the quality of health care for our patients
- Inspire others
- Make a difference
- Most of all ... have fun!
At West Florida Hospital, you can become a volunteer in the following Volunteer Services programs:
- Pastoral Services Volunteers
- h2u (members aged 50+)
- Summer Youth Program (minimum age of 16)
- Sunshine Volunteers (high school graduates to seniors)
At West Florida Hospital, our volunteers are special and we consider them a vital part of our healthcare team. As a volunteer, you will become part of a unique group of individuals who are committed to providing quality care to our patients and their families. Our top priority is to provide care with compassion and respect.
- Complimentary Meal Tickets (valued at $6) each
- Reserved Parking
- Employee Assistance Program (1 free confidential counseling and referral)
- Health Nurse (medical evaluation and minor treatment for on-duty volunteers)
- FREE Flu Shots
- Annual Volunteer Awards Luncheon
- Volunteer Services Newsletter
- Eligible to Join the Harvester's Federal Credit Union
- Orientation and Other Educational Opportunities
- Discounts at Medical Center Clinic Optical Shop
The spirit of volunteerism is contagious! The desire to serve is an important motivating factor, but it is not the only reason to volunteer. The opportunity to meet and be with people with similar interests or to fill our free time with worthwhile activities motivates us. Listed below are the opportunities for Volunteer Services:
Assist A/P personnel in receiving, processing, and storing of payable invoices. Openings available Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Work side-by-side with Transporters as a team to insure high quality patient care. Openings available Monday-Friday, 7:00 am - 12 noon or 12 noon - 4:00 pm.
Emergency Department (must be 21 years of age)
Provide assistance and support by getting trays, picking up supplies in Materiels Management, stamping forms, transporting patients and assist the physicians and staff thereby enabling them to provide better patient care. Acts as liaison with families and interacts with patients.
Food & Nutrition Services
Ensure that all beds have menus, assist w/delivering patient trays, assist w/multiple phone calls, assist dieticians with confirming appointments.
Work with staff to file all employee-related records. Openings available Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
ICU/Open Heart Waiting Room
Provide updated information on ICU/Open Heart patients to the families, answer phone calls, assist nursing personnel.
Provide room number information and general Hospital information to visitors, and answer all calls regarding room number information. Day and evening openings are available.
Assist Distribution staff with labels and cost code stickers of medical inventory and/or provide assistance in clerical areas. Openings available Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 12 noon or 12 noon - 4:00 pm.
Assist patients, answer the telephone, fill water pitchers, deliver patient mail, run errands, interact with patients. Openings are available seven days a week, 7:00 am - 8:00 pm.
Surgical Management Unit
Assist patients, run errands, put charts together, answer telephone, prepare rooms for patients. Openings are available on Wednesday (6:00 am - 3:00 pm) or Friday (6:00 am - 3:00 pm).
Conduct patient satisfaction surveys. Openings are available Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Rehab Occupational Therapy
Transport patients and equipment, answer telephones and other clerical duties, encourage patients who are engaged in therapy. Openings are available Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 12 noon or 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
Rehab Physical Therapy
Transport patients, gather supplies for patient treatment, clerical duties, and interaction with patients, assisting physical therapists as needed. Openings are available Monday-Friday, 7:00 am - 8:00 pm.
Unit provides diagnosis and treatment of speech, language, cognitive and swallowing disorders in the Rehab, Acute Care and Skilled Nursing Unit. Openings are available Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm and Saturday 9:00 am - 12 noon.
Surgery Waiting Room
Provide updated information on surgery patients to the families, answer telephone, run errands. Openings are available Monday-Friday, 7:00 am -11:00 am or 11:00 am - 4:00 pm.
The requirements to be a West Florida Hospital Volunteer are as follows:
- High School Graduate or 18+ years old (16 for Bright Scholar Summer Program)
- Good health and able to commit to a minimum of four (4) hours, one day each week, but no more than six (6) hours per shift, per week
- 1-2 days per week
- Commitment of at least six (6) months
- Since West Florida Hospital is a for-profit organization, we do not accept persons completing volunteer hours for court-appointed community service. Service hours for probation must be completed at a non-profit organization.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, call (850) 494-4188.