Pictured (l-r) are the 2013 Service Awards recipients: Alicia Teed, Pastoral Care Volunteers; Betty Martin, Sunshine Volunteers; and Milda Castleberry, H2U Volunteers.
Volunteers are an integral part of our healthcare team by assisting with an array of services that help our physicians and staff members provide quality, compassionate care to our patients and their families. Our volunteers use their unique talents and abilities throughout our hospital to make a difference in the lives of others.
Research has shown that those who volunteer lead healthier, happier lives because they:
- Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others
- Meet interesting people and make new friends
- Learn new skills and experience new ideas
- Add to the quality of health care for our patients
- Inspire others
- Make a difference
- Most of all ... have fun!
Volunteer Programs Available
- H2U (Health to You)
- Pastoral Care
- Summer Youth Program (minimum age of 16)
- Sunshine Volunteers (high school graduates to seniors)
- Complimentary meal tickets (valued at $6 each)
- Reserved parking
- Health nurse (medical evaluation and minor treatment for on-duty volunteers)
- Free Flu Shots
- Annual Volunteer Awards Luncheon
- Volunteer Services Newsletter
- Eligible to join Harvester's Federal Credit Union
- Orientation and other educational opportunities
- Local and national discounts
Works with transporters to ensure that patients are escorted to treatment areas. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Emergency Department (must be at least 21 years old)
Provides assistance to staff by picking up supplies in Supply Chain, performing clerical duties and escorting patients to treatment areas. Acts as liaison with families and interacts with patients.
Food & Nutrition Services
Ensures that all patient rooms have menus and assists with the following: delivering patient trays and answering phones.
Performs clerical and other related duties. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
ICU/Open Heart Waiting Room
Provides updated information on ICU/Open Heart patients to family members, answers phone and assists nursing personnel, as needed.
Provides room number and general Hospital information/directions to visitors and callers. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Provides clerical assistance and assists staff in warehouse with inventory. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Assists patients, answers phone, fills water pitchers, delivers patient mail, runs errands and interacts with patients. Openings available: weekdays/weekends, 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Surgical Management Unit
Assists patients, runs errands, assembles charts, answers phone and prepares rooms for patients. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Conducts patient satisfaction surveys. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Rehab Occupational Therapy
Transports patients and equipment, answers phones and other clerical duties and encourages patients who are engaged in therapy. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Rehab Physical TherapyTransports patients, gathers supplies for patient treatment, performs clerical duties, interacts with patients and assists staff, as needed. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Surgery Waiting Room
Provides updated surgery patient information to family members, answers phone and runs errands. Openings available: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- High School Graduate or 18+ years old (16 for Bright Scholar Summer Program)
- Good health and able to commit to a minimum of four (4) hours but no more than six (6) hours per shift, per week
- 1-2 days per week
- Commitment of at least six (6) months
NOTE: Since West Florida Healthcare is a for-profit organization, we do not accept persons completing volunteer hours for court-appointed community service. Service hours for probation must be completed at a non-profit organization.
For more information about volunteer opportunities at West Florida Healthcare, please call (850) 494-4188 or 494-4961.