Independence Day can be a fun family event—an exciting time to celebrate and enjoy the summer with family and friends. And fireworks may be part of the celebration. Every year however, children and adults suffer injuries from fireworks, especially eye injuries and burns .
If you choose to use fireworks at your next event, follow these safety tips:
- Buy legal fireworks from reliable sellers.— Note: Some states ban fireworks, including sparklers. Check with your local government agency to determine if fireworks are banned in your state.
- Read and follow all label instructions and warnings.
- Always have an adult present. An adult should light the fireworks.
- Never allow children to ignite fireworks or play with them.
- Use fireworks outdoors only. Choose a smooth, flat surface away from people, pets, houses, and flammable materials (like dry leaves).
- All pets should be indoors during a fireworks display. Pets can become scared of the loud noises, and they could be injured or wander off and become lost.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people. Be sure that people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Always have water handy. A garden hose and a bucket should be in easy reach. After a firework has burned out, pour water on it. Soak it completely.
- Never take fireworks apart, mix their contents with anything else, or attempt to make your own fireworks.
- Always wear eye protection when lighting fireworks. Never have any part of your body over the fireworks.
- Light only 1 firework at a time. Move away quickly once the firecracker is lit.
- Never re-light a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes, then soak the dud firework in a bucket of water.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks from metal or glass containers.
- Dispose of fireworks by soaking them in water. After, put them in a fireproof container that has a cover.
- Store unused fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- After a fireworks display, do not let your child pick up the firework pieces that are on the ground. These pieces could explode.
Special Note About Sparklers
Sparklers are also very popular during fireworks celebrations. Unfortunately, these small hand-held fireworks also causes injuries, especially in young children. The National Council on Fireworks Safety recommends that only older children over the age 12 years be allowed to use sparklers. The organization also recommends these tips:
- Wear closed-toe shoes to prevent burns on your feet.
- Light only 1 sparkler at a time.
- Stand when using a sparkler. Never run with a sparkler in your hand.
- Never wave a sparkler or throw one.
- Keep the sparkler at arm's length. Stand far away from people.
- Never hold a child in your arms if you are also holding a sparkler.
- Once lit, the sparkler becomes very hot. After it has burned out, put the sparkler in a bucket of water.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 10/04/2013 -