There are no specific lifestyle changes to manage leukemia. However, the following tips may help you manage side effects of leukemia treatment:
- Balance rest and activities.
- Avoid exposure to bacteria and viruses. This may include restricting travel during cold and flu season and, in some cases, restricting exposure to pets that may carry viruses or other infections that may be transmitted to humans.
- Maintain good dental hygiene.
- Eat a healthful diet as tolerated.
- Avoid overly vigorous physical activities such as contact sports. During the course of leukemia and as a result of treatment, blood clotting can be compromised, and the risk of bleeding and injury from trauma is increased.
Support from family and friends is also very important at this time. Some patients find it helpful to discuss concerns with people facing similar challenges. The American Cancer Society can refer you to support groups in your area.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 12/2015 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -