Find out if the person is overwhelmed
(HealthDay News) -- A friend or loved one who is struggling to manage diabetes may appreciate your help in achieving his or her goals.
The National Diabetes Education Program suggests how to offer help to a friend or loved one with the disease:
- Ask the person if he or she ever feels sad or overwhelmed about having diabetes.
- Ask if the person has established goals to help control diabetes.
- Ask what may be interfering with managing diabetes well.
- Ask what you can do to help.
- Ask if the person has talked to a healthcare team about achieving goals and solving problems.