West Florida Healthcare and Northwest Florida Heart Group are proud to present HerHeart, a program designed to fight the number one killer of women and heart disease. Through HerHeart, West Florida Healthcare and Northwest Florida Heart Group offer vital education, screenings, and links to healthcare resources. Our mission is to inspire women to become more involved in their heart health, and give them the tools and guidance they need to accomplish their goals.
HerHeart is Unique
West Florida Healthcare and Northwest Florida Heart Group understand the unique care and attention women require to fight cardiovascular disease and to maintain optimal heart health. We are pleased to be able to offer female-specific care, screenings, and ongoing education that's targeted to women of all ages and health needs through the HerHeart program. HerHeart is designed by women, for ALL women.
HerHeart is Smart
Unfortunately, most women do not understand the warning signs and personal risk factors for cardiovascular disease that are unique to women. Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women today. Although one in four women will die of heart disease, most are unaware of their risks until it's too late.
Below is a list of factors that may indicate you are at risk for heart disease. If two or more of them apply to you, take action and schedule a screening with a HerHeart cardiologist today - it could save your life!
- Women with high triglycerides
- Women 55+ years, or past menopause
- Women who exercise less than 30 min. a day
- Women with high cholesterol, high LDL or low HDL
- Women who are more than 20 pounds overweight
- Women who currently smoke or who smoked for more than 20 years
- Women with a family history of cardiac, stroke or circulation problems
- Women who had gestational diabetes or a baby weighing over 9 pounds
- Women with diabetes or those who need medication to control blood sugar
- Women with a history of high blood pressure or blood pressure problems during pregnancy
Know Your Numbers
You may or may not be experiencing symptoms related to cardiovascular disease right now, but keep in mind that there is no way of knowing if you have high cholesterol or high blood pressure without being tested.
HerHeart is Proactive
Whether it's about prevention or recovery, HerHeart empowers women to fight for their personal heart health.
No matter what your health needs may be, here are concrete steps you can take to improve your heart health:
- If you smoke, STOP!!!
- Control your weight
- Know the signs of heart disease
- Reduce stress and make your health a priority
- Exercise at least six times a week for 30 minutes
- Eat more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and fish
- Improve your diet by eating and cooking with less fat
- Schedule a checkup if you have any of the risk factors
- Contact your doctor immediately if you have any symptoms
- Have a full lipid evaluation and discuss the results with your doctor
- If you have diabetes, manage it with proper lifestyle and/or medications
It's Time to Take Charge
To learn more about healthy living, staying active and the many benefits of H2U membership, click here.
To learn more about the HerHeart program or to find out about our next HerHeart seminar or free screening, please call (850) 494-3212.