|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Putting cotton balls soaked in medicine inside your nose to reduce swelling or spraying the inside of your nose with an anesthetic medicine
- Using a small instrument to look inside the nose
- Gently pressing inside of the nose to check for swelling
- Your medicines
- Your personal and family medical history, including any allergies
- Sweat test
- Allergy skin tests
- Biopsy of the polyp
- Nasal sprays, particularly those containing steroids, to reduce swelling, increase nasal airflow, and help shrink polyps
- Drugs to help reduce swelling and shrink polyps
- Drugs to control allergies or infection, such as antihistamines for allergies or antibiotics for a bacterial infection
- Polypectomy—removing nasal polyps. If the polyps are small, this can be done in your doctor's office. Unfortunately, polyps often return.
- Endoscopic sinus surgery—removing the nasal polyps and opening the sinuses where the polyps form
- For a stuffy or runny nose, use a preservative-free saline spray. This helps reduce irritation in the sinuses.
- If you have hay fever or another allergy, see your doctor for treatment. Avoid the substance that causes your allergy.
- If you have asthma or frequent sinus infections, take your medicine as your doctor suggests.
- If you have aspirin sensitivity, avoid all medicines that contain aspirin.
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology http://www.aaaai.org
American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery http://www.entnet.org
Allergy Asthma Information Association http://aaia.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Adkinson N, Middleton E. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2003.
Cummings CW. Otolayrngology: Head and Neck Surgery. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2005.
Dalziel K, Stein K, Round A, Garside R, Royle P. Systematic review of endoscopic sinus surgery for nasal polyps. Health Technol Assess. 2003;7:1-159.
Larsen K. The clinical relationship of nasal polyps to asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc . 1996;17:243-249.
Lund VJ. Diagnosis and treatment of nasal polyps. BMJ. 1995;311:1411-1414.
Nasal polyps. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed . Updated March 4, 2013. Accessed April 2, 2013.
Patient UK. Nasal polyps. Patient UK website. Available at: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Nasal-Polyps.htm . Updated March 25, 2011. Accessed April 2, 2013.
White AA, Stevenson DD. Aspirin-exacerbated respiratory disease: update on pathogenesis and desensitization. Semin Respir Crit Care Med . 2012 Dec;33(6):588-94.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2013 -