Arthrodesis of Foot and Ankle -- Open Surgery
|Arthrodesis of Foot and Ankle|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Failure of the joint to fuse
- Poor alignment of the joint, causing pain and/or change in walking pattern
- Need for repeat surgery
- Nerve damage
- Chronic disease such as diabetes or obesity
- The use of certain medications
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners
- Antiplatelet drugs
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incisions
Call Your Doctor
- Bleeding or discharge from your incision(s). This may show up as staining of your cast.
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Increasing or severe pain that is not relieved by your pain medicine
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, or severe nausea and vomiting
- Numbness, tingling, or discoloration in the foot
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org
University of Washington School of Medicine http://www.orthop.washington.edu
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Department of Orthopaedics The University of British Columbia http://www.orthosurgery.ubc.ca
Arthritis of the foot and ankle: arthrodesis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00209. Updated September 2008. Accessed April 4, 2013.
Daniels TR. Ankle arthrodesis. Canadian Orthopaedic Association website. Available at: http://www.coa-aco.org/library/clinical-topics/ankle-arthrodesis.html. Accessed April 4, 2013.
Foot pain—differential diagnosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 31, 2011. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/00/2014 -