Department of Pharmacy:
The Department of Pharmacy serves patients at West Florida Hospital from the main pharmacy as well as de-centralized locations throughout the hospital, including the intensive care unit (ICU), progressive care units (PCUs), emergency department, pediatric unit, and adult medical/surgical floors. The integrative care and decentralized pharmacy practice model provides increased opportunity for collaboration with physicians, mid-level practitioners, nurses, and patients to optimize patient-centered care.
The West Florida Hospital Department of Pharmacy is dedicated to the provision of excellence in patient care, education, community service, and research.
Clinical Pharmacy Services Include:
- Automatic policies providing several services including: renal dosing of over 100 medications, IV to PO conversion of over 30 medications, pharmacokinetic management of all vancomycin and aminoglycosides, dose rounding for several weight-based medications, parenteral nutrition management
- Consultation services including: anticoagulation (including warfarin) dosing and monitoring, pain management, post-operative PCA management, glycemic control management
- Utilization of a medication therapy system, VigiLanz, alerts pharmacist to medication management opportunities (antimicrobial de-escalation, renal dose adjustment alerts, etc.)
- Admission and discharge medication reconciliations with patient education
- Daily antimicrobial review for de-escalation and appropriateness
- Daily direct patient care rounding with an interdisciplinary team (IDT)
- Drug information in-services to all members of the healthcare team