The Rehabilitation Institute offers an extensive array of inpatient rehabilitative services for individuals, 18 years and older, with impairments resulting in activity limitations and/or participation limitations and is licensed by the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitation Services as the only Comprehensive Medical Rehabilitation Hospital in the Pensacola area as well as the panhandle’s only state designated Spinal Cord Injury Program. We are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) as a comprehensive inpatient program that focuses on returning the person served to maximum independence under the guidance of a team of physicians and professional staff.
Patient treatment plans are individualized with your needs and preferences in mind to include medical acuity and stability, functional status and cultural preferences.
Approximately 40 people per million per year will sustain a spinal cord injury. Almost half of all traumatic injuries occur in people between the ages of 16 and 30; 78% of the injuries occur in males. The Rehabilitation Institute offers a comprehensive inpatient program for the treatment of persons who have suffered a spinal cord injury. The Spinal Cord Injury Program offers:
- Regaining independence in functional activities including self-care, mobility, and social interaction.
- Training in use of adaptive equipment to assist in becoming more functionally independent
- Learning about the impairment and adjusting to any activity limitations and/or participation restrictions.
- Transitioning to home or the least restrictive alternative level of care
- Returning to productive roles at home, workplace, school, and in the community.
- Serving as a resource in the community for persons with spinal cord injury and caregivers
- Assisting with participation in leisure and recreational activities
- Incorporating wellness and prevention in life choices.
- Ongoing therapy sessions
- Adaptive aquatics
- Community skills outings
- Community reorientation therapy
- Equipment/assistive technology recommendations
- Medical consultants
- Spinal injury management series education
- Driver evaluation/training
- School system education
- Family training/education
- Home accessibility evaluation
- Spinal cord injury support group
The Spinal Cord Injury Program at the Rehabilitation Institute discharged 75% of patients back to their homes in 18 days during 2013. People with spinal cord injuries who went through our program made more functional gain, and 100% stated they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with their stay.
- Motor vehicle accidents '41%
- Sports/diving accidents'7.9%
- Other '8.5%
- Loss of sensation
- Paralysis or weakness of muscles
- Poor ability to regulate body temperature
- Bowel/bladder difficulties
- Impaired circulation
- Muscle spasticity
- Decrease in joint mobility
- Impairment of sexual function
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Case Managers
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Recreational Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists
For more information call: (850) 494-6100
West Florida Rehabilitation Institute
8391 N. Davis Highway
Pensacola, Florida 32514