Behavioral health center in Pensacola, Florida
West Florida Healthcare's psychiatrists provide inpatient and outpatient mental health care options at The Pavilion at West Florida Hospital, our behavioral health center. Our intake team is available 24/7 to provide assessments in a specialized unit within the emergency room (ER) at West Florida Hospital.
For more information about our mental health services, call (850) 494-5000 and ask to speak with The Pavilion intake nurse.
Adult mental health services
Our goal is to empower patients to manage their behavioral health conditions and take control of their lives. We use several evidence-based models to accomplish this goal, including:
- Emergency evaluations
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Inpatient mental health care
- Outpatient mental health care
- Senior mental health care
We provide a variety of treatments to support each patient's goals and needs:
- Educational groups
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Medication management
- Pet therapy
- Nursing therapy
Our patients enjoy both individual therapy combined with group activities to enrich their well-balanced experience with us:
- Family support/education group
- Individual therapy
- Music, dance, reminiscence and crafts
- Pastoral services, including counseling
Inpatient mental health care
Our behavioral health center in Pensacola includes a wide range of inpatient mental health treatments. Our intake team is available 24/7 to treat our patients and provide assessments.
Inpatient admission process
The inpatient admission process begins with a phone call. We are available 24/7 and can provide emergency evaluations upon request. The admission process is as follows:
- The referral source calls our intake department at (850) 494-5000.
- Our intake staff will review the case with the psychiatrist.
- The psychiatrist makes a decision to admit based off age (18 years old or older) and a primary behavioral health diagnosis.
- The patient and/or referral source is informed of the psychiatrist's decision.
- Admission is coordinated by our intake staff.
Inpatient mental health evaluation
We perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine the most efficient treatment for each patient. Our assessment process includes:
- Nursing assessment
- Medical history and physical
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Psychosocial evaluation
- Activities assessment
- Neuropsychological evaluation (when ordered by psychiatrist)
Inpatient discharge process
Discharge planning includes working with community resources to secure the best possible connection to the next level of care for the patient at discharge. This may include area outpatient programs and providers or another inpatient provider who can offer a longer course of care for the patient.
Emergency behavioral health care
When you need help, we're here. Emergency admissions to The Pavilion are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Patients can be referred to The Pavilion by psychiatrists, other physicians, psychologists, mental health professionals, community agencies, employers, the judicial system, clergy, educators, families, friends and self. The Assistance and Referral Program begins with a telephone call to our intake department.
For emergency behavioral health admissions, call (850) 494-5000.
Our behavioral health emergency services include:
- Immediate response: Trained and experienced mental health professionals are available around the clock at The Pavilion.
- Crisis intervention: The assistance and referral staff can mediate a crisis and put you and your doctor in touch with qualified professionals who are on call to assist you right away.
- Assessment: One-on-one assessment for the patient and/or family is available through The Pavilion Assistance and Referral Program. A wide range of professionals, including psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists and counselors, will be available to provide additional assessment if needed.
- Evaluation: The Assistance and Referral Program can provide the necessary services and personnel to effectively determine your medical needs and will provide you and your doctor with a timely report of findings and resolution.
- Facilitated admission: For patients meeting The Pavilion's admission criteria, the program will help facilitate admission, smoothing the transition to treatment and minimizing paperwork and delays.
- Assisted referrals: Our qualified staff will evaluate the patient and their family's needs and make arrangements for appropriate referrals, such as to a psychologist, psychiatrist, nursing home, psychiatric facility or medical doctor. Your doctor will keep you updated throughout the process.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
The Pavilion at West Florida Hospital offers ECT. ECT is a treatment option for patients with severe depression who have not been responsive to other therapies or medications. It may also be an option for patients whose mental health conditions put their lives in danger.
ECT is a valuable, safe and effective treatment that we offer on an inpatient and outpatient basis. It is one of the fastest ways to relieve symptoms in patients with severe depression, suicidal thoughts, mania and other mental illnesses.
Patients who may be candidates for ECT will receive a referral from a trained treatment professional. Once the referral is made, the team at The Pavilion will work with the patient and their loved ones to develop an individualized care plan.
Our ECT services include:
- Consultation with psychiatrist
- Extensive education and patient/family support
- Patient-centered approach to treatment
- Inpatient and outpatient options
For more information about ECT or to make a referral, please call (850) 494-3694.
Outpatient behavioral health care
The Pavilion at West Florida Hospital is proud to offer Transitions, which includes two outpatient behavioral health programs to support patients on their paths to wellness. Transitions is tailored to meet each patient's specific needs in an outpatient setting and includes our Partial Hospitalization Program and our Intensive Outpatient Program.
For more information on our outpatient mental health services, please call (850) 494-5495.
Senior behavioral health care
The Pavilion at West Florida Hospital is pleased to provide Reflections, the area’s only inpatient senior behavioral health program. This program consists of 18 beds for adults 65 years or older.
Our goal is to empower patients to manage their mental health conditions and take control of their lives. We believe that these conditions are treatable, and patients are most successful with a team approach. Our treatment team includes psychiatrists, nurses, counselors, case managers, expressive therapists and dietitians.