Senior behavioral health program in Pensacola, Florida
West Florida Healthcare provides Reflections, the area's only inpatient senior mental health program. Our program consists of 18 beds for adults 65 years old and older at The Pavilion at West Florida Hospital.
We offer a variety of therapies, such as group therapy and music therapy, that can be personalized for each patient. Our goal is to empower patients to manage their behavioral health conditions and take control of their lives.
We are available 24/7 to assist with behavioral health needs. To learn more about Reflections, call (850) 494-5000.
Our inpatient senior behavioral health unit
Reflections is located within its own discreet wing of our behavioral health unit to assure privacy, confidentiality and comfort. We emphasize the importance of instilling hope, and we recognize the unique needs and health conditions that may be associated with aging.
Senior mental health evaluation
We perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine the most efficient treatment for each patient. We are available 24/7 and can take emergency evaluations upon request. Our assessment process includes:
- Nursing assessment
- Medical history and physical
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Psychosocial evaluation
- Activities assessment
- Neuropsychological evaluation (when ordered by psychiatrist)
Inpatient admission process
We are always here and available to help. The senior admission is as follows:
- The referral source calls the intake department.
- Our intake staff will review the case with the psychiatrist.
- The psychiatrist makes a decision to admit or to not admit based off the requirements listed below.
- The patient and/or referral source is informed of the psychiatrist’s decision.
- Admission is coordinated by our intake staff.
- Medical clearance may be necessary through the Dedicated Geriatric Track in the West Florida Hospital ER.
To ensure quality care, we request each patient meets the following requirements before being admitted to the Reflections program:
- Clinically appropriate for placement in the Reflections program
- Behavioral health condition must be primary concern, not medical
- Unable to care for self
- Motivated for treatment and able to benefit from our services
Our treatment team includes a variety of specialists including psychiatrists, nurses, counselors, case managers, expressive therapists and dietitians. These specialists will assist in the following treatments:
- Medication management
- Group psychotherapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Educational groups
- Pet therapy
We believe that senior mental health is treatable, and patients are most successful with a team approach. Some of our group activities include:
- Music, dance, reminiscence and crafts
- Pastoral services, including counseling
- Family support/education group
Inpatient discharge process
After being discharged from Reflections, patients often return to where they lived before, such as their own home or an assisted living facility. However, the therapist will sometimes need to arrange for placement in a more restrictive setting, like a nursing home, for safety reasons.
Patients and their families are involved in the discharge process as much as possible.
Memory Disorder Clinic
The Memory Disorder Clinic is the only such clinic designated by the State of Florida Department of Elder Affairs to serve the Northwest Florida area. The Clinic provides a comprehensive evaluation in an accessible, convenient manner for patients concerned about memory disorders, Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
The Memory Disorder Clinic may be beneficial to people with one or more of the following conditions:
- Change in thinking ability, judgment or concentration
- Difficulty with speech, reading, writing or other skills
- Memory loss
- Personality changes
Patients may contact the clinic directly or arrange referral through a personal physician.
Comprehensive memory assessment
The Memory Disorder Clinic has been designed to provide patients with convenient and carefully coordinated access to the appropriate medical expertise and diagnostic services available through West Florida Healthcare.
Memory disorder support groups
Community support groups take place in Community Rooms A and B at the West Florida Rehabilitation Institute.
Parkinson's support group
This group meets the second Friday of every month from 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Alzheimer's support group
This group meets the fourth Monday of every month from 3:00pm to 4:00pm.
For reservations to the Parkinson's or Alzheimer's support groups, call Consult-A-Nurse® at (850) 494-3212.